The Important Book
The Important Book about ... (Energy, Light, Colour or
Sound for example)
Inspired by The Important Book by Margaret
Wise Brown, students will use the poetic patterns to describe what is
important about light, energy, colour or sound in this science unit.
Students will produce an accordion-style book with the following content:
- Front cover - title "The Important Book about...", full name of
- Back cover - About the Author with photo or drawing
- 8 pages written in different styles and illustrated in different ways
- each page will be devoted to a different topic
- each topic will contain between 4 to 5 "facts"
- Students will learn the scientific concepts of this unit by:
- viewing videos
- playing around with light & mirrors in class
- reading the text
- reading, viewing & listening to information in the computer program
"Light & Sound"
- researching for their science demonstration & viewing the demonstrations
of their classmates
- doing a partner mini-research assignment using the computer program
"Light & Sound"
- listening & participating in class discussions
- listing at least 10 "Light Facts", 10 "Colour Facts" and 5 "Sound
Facts" in their notebooks from their own understanding and class discussions
- Writing the Important Book is a culminating activity for the unit.
- The rough draft will be written in class, in the science notebook.
- The good copy will be written up and illustrated at home.
- The final booklet will be assembled & finished in class.
- After the books are complete, students will be able to read the work of
the other students and fill in Reader Response Postcards.
Science: (The Different Forms of Energy for example)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts.
- No misconceptions are demonstrated.
- Descriptions give complete explanations.
- Consistently uses appropriate scientific terminology.
- Produce a two-dimensional work of art that communicates thoughts, feelings
and ideas for a specific purpose.
- To present information and facts combine with wit and whimsy. To combine
Science and The Arts by creating a Scientific Poetry Pattern Book based on
the patterns observed in The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown.
- Produce a piece of writing using a variety of specific forms and materials
from other media to enhance the final product.
- Use a variety of lettering and format styles to enhance the visual
- Develop and state personal opinions by reading a variety of books produced
by peers and completing Reader Response Postcards.